Sunday, September 6, 2015

Narwal

"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching."                     Mahatma Gandhi

When the tangle pattern Narwal came out several months ago I thought it was interesting. I added it to my list of patterns to try out, but that list can sometimes get pretty long before I actually sit down and play with them. I've been noticing a lot of people posting their work using Narwal, and it has spurred me on to tackle it. As recommended by many, I found the YouTube video by Helen Williams (A Little Lime) to be quite useful in figuring it out.

Here is my first attempt in a journal of mine (after some practice on scrap paper). I probably would like it better if I had left off the little Narwal on the right side. And if it didn't have that stray pen mark on it!


Next it was on to trying to make it look a little better while integrating it with other tangles. Here I used gray-toned Strathmore paper, and added some Henna Drum and Bunzo. I shaded with graphite and added highlights with my trusty white pastel pencil. 


I like that one SO much more than my first, but in an attempt to show how important practice is, I included them both. Don't ever underestimate the importance of repetition for those patterns that may give you more trouble than others!

No comments:

Post a Comment