Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Stacking the Deck

"Creativity is intelligence having fun."   Albert Einstein

A few weeks ago the prompt for the journal group I belong to was to create a stacked Zentangle. A stack is "rows of tangles that go in the same direction and touch or are close enough to appear as one solid cohesive piece rather than an assemblage whose pieces could float away. These rows in the stack may be vertical, diagonal, horizontal, circular, or semi-circular." Below is the piece that I tangled for that prompt. It isn't shaded because I knew I was going to take it one step further by adding color.


Patterns Used: Baton. Emingle, Knightsbridge, Hollibaugh, Printemps, Sand Swirl, Dex, Purk, Betweed

Here it is after adding color and shading with Tombow markers. I think some sections came out better than others.



Shortly after this, two CZTs, Alice Hendon and Jane Eileen, started a Facebook group called Zentangle: Stacked and Tangled. A place to share only art work that follows the above definition (as stated in the guidelines for the FB group.) Since I had really enjoyed doing the stacks in my journal, I decided to join the group.

Here is a stack I completed on a Zentangle tile (3 1/2 inches square). I used a stencil from Acadia Laser Creations and filled the open sections between stacks with Tipple (the little circles.)


Patterns Used: Knightsbridge, Z-trik, lines, Gerwutz, Static, Shattuck, Copada

Then I used another stencil from Acadia Laser that is similar, but meant for a Zendala tile. This time I chose a Renaissance tile and used brown and black microns with graphite pencil, brown pencil, and white pencil for the shading and highlighting. The knightsbridge (checkerboard) filled the spaces in between.


Patterns Used: Footlites, Beelight, N'zeppel, Diva Dance
 
It never fails to amaze me how the tan tiles come to life with the different color pens and pencils. Stacking is fun and simple to do. Check out the Facebook group linked above and see what it's all about.

4 comments:

  1. caren, you are amazing!!! thank you for sharing about Zentangle: Stacked and Tangled, we love you! i remember your landscape when you posted it in the art journal group, i loved it then and i love it now. the colors bring it to life :) and this tan tile is beautiful - you are so right about those tan tiles and the highlighting and shading. and even better it's all stacked :D hehehehe! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your A+mazing exemplars! I am so happy you liked my prompt well enough to do more and that you shared them here as well as on our Facebook page. We love new members and seeing all their great work, so thanks for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm new to zentangle and would love if you'd name the tangles you have in your staked artwork! They're beautiful and I'd like to learn some of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've gone back and added the names of the patterns under each picture. I hope this helps! I've started doing this recently, so my more recent posts have the patterns listed.

      Delete