Friday, June 20, 2014

Tangled Up in Color

"True happiness comes from the joy of deeds well done, the zest of creating things new."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I've been immersed in color for the past couple of weeks. Literally, color all over my hands, because I don't remember to always put on my gloves. Playing, testing, experimenting, deciding what to include in my color class scheduled for next month. This week it's all about alcohol inks, which need to be used with glossy cardstock, rather than regular paper. I'm here to show you a bit of how I've been spending most of my time recently.

This first "tile" reminds me of the Rorschach inkblot test (according to Wikipedia - a psychological test in which subjects' perceptions of inkblots are recorded and then analyzed using psychological interpretation) that was popular when I was growing up. Here's the before (before MOST of the tangling) and after. Let me know what you think the inkblot looks like, and I'll analyze your response and get back to you!



I tangled that one using different tangles in the different color/areas formed by the inks. I used the same approach for this next one, although the inks were applied differently so that it doesn't have the same inkblot look.



Those tiles seemed a little busy to me, so in the next one I decided to keep it simple. After all, the coloring is so pretty on these that I wanted to let it shine through some more. And shine they do on this glossy paper, although some of that shine gets lost in the photos.



Next  came a blue/green tile which begged to be filled with an underwater garden.



Again, on the next one, I left open space so as not to cover all the luscious color splotches.



Finally, here is one of my favorite tiles, in shades of blue.



So...now I'm ready with all sorts of ideas for my all day color class/workshop. If you plan to be in the Mt. Pleasant, SC area on July 26th, I'd love to have you join in on the fun.



5 comments:

  1. They are beautiful, something new for me to try, the colours are so attractive. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. absolutely inspiring! great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed this post. That first (pink/red) blot (before shot) immediately made me think of a raging, high-stepping bull elephant. Your tangles only made my mental image stronger. Pretty, pretty, all of them. :J

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been doing alcohol ink for at least a year and half and tangling on them. Don't you find them addicting. I really like the colors you have used.

    ReplyDelete