Saturday, May 24, 2014

Glow Little Glow-Worm, Glow and Glimmer

"The sun's glow had given way to a brilliant twilight that colored the great mountains with violet and orange rivers."   
Michael R. Hicks

Finally....I'm ready to show you what I learned at Tangle University, which I can't believe was a month ago already. Sandy Steen Bartholomew, famous (at least in the Zentangle world) tangler and author extraordinaire, presented a workshop she called "Glowing Prints." We used  scratch-foam, stencils, white ink pads, and various tools and pens, to make prints on black cardstock. 

Here is the one I made during Tangle U...the only one I made there that I like enough to share.



I knew that I needed to go home and practice some more, so I ordered my scratch-foam and ink pad and waited for them to arrive. Then I pulled out my microns, white Uniball Signo gel pen, white charcoal pencil, black glaze pen, black colored pencil and began to play. I have to admit that some of my attempts were discarded along the way. But this elephant made the cut, and is kind of an epilogue to my post from a couple of weeks ago.

 
 Here's my first dragonfly...



...and my second one, created using a little different method than the first.



The second one actually incorporates a touch of color with Moonlight gelly roll pens. The color did not scan well at all, and although you can see the green a little bit, you can't see the orange at all. You'll have to take my word for it...it's really there. It's very frustrating when the color doesn't show up the way it should.

Next is my cat, with some gold accents, which, thankfully, show well in the picture.


Last, is possibly my favorite one.  And to think I almost threw it out. I used a laser cut stencil from Acadia Laser Creations (fellow CZT Jenny Perruzzi). Without going into all the details, I "scratched" it reversed on the foam from the way I wanted it. Was ready to toss it when I realized I could still use it, in a different way than I originally had planned. The dots you see in this one are really pink, but they don't look much like it in this picture.


I really enjoyed playing and experimenting with this technique. Thank you Sandy Steen Bartholomew. Now to decide if I want to teach this in a class. 




No comments:

Post a Comment