Thursday, May 30, 2013

12 Step Program for Zentangle Addiction



Welcome to my Zentangle filled world. After two and a half years of creating Zentangles and more than a year and a half after becoming a CZT (Certified Zentangle Teacher), I’ve decided to take a flying leap into the blogosphere. I am not very computer literate, but I am very passionate about Zentangle, and I do enjoy writing (I even had an article published recently in a children’s magazine). So the plan is to handle the tangling and writing end of this blog, and turn to my very computer savvy husband when I need assistance with the rest. 

I will be the first to admit to being addicted to Zentangle. Now the term addiction usually refers to something problematic, and often is linked to a 12 step program for recovery. Well, my addiction is not problematic, except when it keeps me up at night with thoughts of a new project I’d like to work on, a new class I’d like to offer, or what my next blog post will be about. So I am not in need of a program for recovery (other than the kind that my melatonin provides). But I did come up with a 12 step program laying out exactly what I should do to nurture my addiction. Here it is, in no particular order of importance:

  1. Keep busy tangling in order to stay out of trouble. After retiring from teaching elementary school two years ago, I was a little worried that I would be bored with nothing to occupy my time. Boy was I wrong!
  2. Make new friends. There is an amazing online community of Zentangle enthusiasts who are friendly, sharing, and caring. And they provide inspiration to further my addiction.
  3. Divulge the joy of Zentangle to my local friends. Now I have an excuse to get together with them and spend even more time tangling.
  4. Be creative. After leaving behind past endeavors such as stained glass and beading, I welcome this new outlet for showcasing my creativity.
  5. Tangle to decrease stress and worries.  Zentangle helps me to relax and refocus my attention, and since I worry about everything (just ask my husband), this step should go a long way towards fostering my addiction.
  6. Create a beautiful piece of art. I still often look at my finished work and say, “Wow, I did that!”
  7. Tangle to lower my blood pressure. My doctor should be happy about this one.
  8. Teach classes in Zentangle. This allows me to continue to do something I love, even after retiring from my full time teaching job.
  9. Make handmade gifts. Results in more time tangling as well as thankful recipients.
  10. Decorate my home with…what else but Zentangle inspired art? And it goes so well with the black and white theme in my house! Some might even think I decorated my house to go with my art.
  11. Show off my Zentangles. My self-esteem gets a boost each time someone says how “cool” it is or tells me I have so much artistic talent (I sure have them fooled, don’t I?). My daughter is my biggest fan!
  12. Attend Zentangle related retreats and workshops around the country. Not only does this give me the opportunity to meet new tanglers and learn new things, but it also gets me fired up to go home and do more of steps #1 – 11!
So far I think I’ve done a pretty good job of maintaining my addiction. And it is this addiction that I plan to share with you in my blog. I will be posting some of my art work, describing techniques that I incorporate in my creations, sharing new ideas that I try, and anything else Zentangle related that sparks my fancy.

Please come back and take another look soon, or even better yet, subscribe to my blog or follow it by email  (by using the appropriate link on the right), so you don’t need to worry about missing one morsel of wisdom that I have to share. Thanks, and see you next time.

19 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogosphere, as you call it! Have fun with your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Caren, Your blog looks great and I like your 12 step program. I can work a program like that with no problem. I am a CZT 8 and my blog is distangleart.blogspot.com
    Please visit me when you have a chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane. I just signed up to follow your blog. I was looking back at your old posts and I love the color work you did in Marie's class. I think it's going to be offered again this summer, so I'm thinking about taking it.

      Delete
  3. Welcome to the blogospher, Caren! Blog looks great!!
    Kelley Kelly
    www.thepathuntangled.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelley. I just signed up to follow you. And good luck with Hobby Lobby. It's working out great for me so far.

      Delete
  4. Congrats and good luck with the blog. I'll add you to my list of blogs I watch! www.suejacobs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. I've visited your blog several times before and I just signed up to follow you. I love the tiles you did for Ebony and Ivory.

      Delete
  5. I will be retiring in 2 years from teaching... I hope to get to someday afford to become a CZT also. Good luck with your blog, and have Fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. If you do get to go to CZT training it is well worth it!

      Delete
  6. What a fun list. And welcome to blogging. I know you will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am excited to be able to follow your tangle journey and thought processes through your blog :) welcome to the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alice. I've visited your blog many times and just signed up to follow it. I love the work you did for Marie's class - hoping to take it this summer.

      Delete
  8. Glad you are adding to the zentangle blog world. So great for people to be able to visit all the different blogs to get a good diverse look at zentangle!
    I featured your 12 steps on my blog. :) cause I love it so much.
    Sandra Chatelain
    laughingorchidstudio.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sandra. I can use the exposure!

      Delete
  9. Hi Caren! Good for you for taking the plunge, and welcome to Zentangle Blogland! What a great start, and looking forward to following you! Love to see you over at Deep Magic Tangles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann. I just took a look at your blog, and your work is beautiful! I am adding you to my blogroll.

      Delete
  10. Your blog looks great. I just signed up to follow your posts. It is also nice to have some one a bit closer if I get around to ordering zentangle supplies. I live in Tn. I hope toretire from teaching in around 4 years, as soon as I can get social security. I have been teaching for 36 years, so even though I love it - I am ready!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy! I believe there are CZTs in TN, so you should check to see if anyone is near you.

      Delete